Thursday, February 25, 2010

mama dip vs daddy dip

Hubby and I each make a dip that we love. He doesn't love mine and certainly don't love his. To each their own. We each recently made our favorite dip to take to the same place. It was a dip challenge.

Here's mine (clearly the better of the two): I learned to make this dip from our family friend who I used to do a lot of babysitting for. Then my mom made it for awhile and experiment with low fat mayo, but it was determined by all that regular old mayo was the only way to go.

Artichoke Dip

1 c mayo (the real stuff)

1 c parm cheese

1 can artichoke hearts (drain and cut in pieces)

mix all ingredients. Bake at 375 degrees for 45 minutes until golden brown. Enjoy with thin crackers or other favorite cracker. (Spoon off oil after it starts to cool a little. That part can get a little yuck)




Here is hubby's dip: His dip is one that he and his cousin used to make when watching Michigan football games together in high school. They used to mix it all up and it was this awful creamy color.

Super Amazing Dip (seriously, that's what he just called it when I asked for it's official name)

8 oz. cream cheese

Hormel chili in a can

2 cups cheddar cheese

He also just informed me that sometimes it is called 'Heavenly Dip.' Silly daddy. Smear cream cheese in the bottom of a pan, add chili on top, and top with cheese on top of that. Bake in oven or melt in the microwave, which seems to be the preferred boy method. Serve with tortilla chips.

I'm not sure which was the winner. Both were eaten. I think the girls preferred my dip and the kids preferred his. Really, there were so many other good treats from other people, no one lack for appropriate munchies the whole evening. One thing that was a winner across the board though, were these chocolate cupcakes from pioneer woman. That makes it sound like she was there.... she wasn't, but her cupcake recipe was represented. (These particular ones aren't the prettiest, but the filling inside was delightful!)

2 comments:

amanda a said...

I'm imagining Brian's dip stuffed into a bun with a hotdog on top. and i'm drooling...
now to go check out those darn cupcakes. i'm making pioneer woman's yeasted doughnuts on saturday. ack!

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure that I have had your dip. I did try Hubby at thanksgiving. It was ok. I would certainly not stir it up and am shocked to hear that he does that. Yuck....They both have strong tastes which means to me that you would gravitate to the one that you prefer & not enjoy the other. He REALLY stirs it up???? I'm sure he could get help for that.

Love Always

Dad

Dad